No Mana Constraints
It is just completely and utterly false. Mana might feel tigher at 85 (post-patch 5.0.4) than it does at 90? Mana is much, much, much tighter at 90 than it is at 85 (post-patch 5.0.4). It's not even close.
We're talking about 5 different numbers here.
1) Mana at 85, pre-geared.
2) Mana at 85, post-geared.
3) Mana at 85, post-geared, post patch. <-- You're probably here right now.
4) Mana at 90, pre-geared.
5) Mana at 90, post-geared.
Our expectation is that things look like this: 2 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 1
- Mana for a Dragon Soul geared healer (2) is too good, but not dramatically so.
- Mana for a new level 85 (1) is too punishing.
- For Mists, mana for a raid-geared character (5) should feel good, but not as good as 2.
- For Mists, mana for a new level 90 (4), should not feel as punishing as 1.
- For the current "lame duck session" you're playing a level 85 character using Mists numbers (3). This is NOT the same number as 2 or 5. We knew this would be the case, so we nerfed Dragon Soul by an additional 5% to make sure nobody started stumbling where they had smooth sailing the week prior.
In other words, 1 and 2 no longer exist, so we're looking at 5 > 4 > 3.
Value 3 will be irrelevant to most players in a few weeks, at which point the only relevant thing is 5 > 4 (meaning geared characters have more mana than ungeared characters).